Saturday, November 24, 2018

I Must Not Lower My Standard!

I was on my way out, I remembered I needed to put something in my bag, then I hurriedly entered the room and suddenly stumbled on a paper stuck to the wall. What’s this? I read “I must never lower my standard for anyone or anything.” It was an inscription of my roommate. I wouldn’t understand what the guy meant. Few days later, I had my experience. I was in a hostel to sell my food. I met one of my guys who lives in the hostel and he joined me to start meeting people in their rooms. Fifteen minutes after, no one had bought food. What’s happening? I questioned myself. I told the guy to go back to his room. I wouldn’t want him to be frustrated with people’s response and attitude. 

Then I began to go into the rooms one after the other, not minding whether they are Africans or not. Then I started from the highest floor. As I was moving through the rooms, I met a Mongolian girl. Hello! Hi! She responded with smile, I’m selling rice, very nice and tasty. Will you like to buy? I said. Hummm, I’m not sure, she replied with curiousity. But can I have a taste? She added. Of course you can. I replied. Then she got spoon and opened the pack to have a taste. She took the first spoon. Humm, yummy! She quietly spoke in surprise. And took the second spoon. It’s very nice, she added, astounded!

Then I said, it’s yours. Go and enjoy the rest. But I don’t want to buy it. She replied. But why? I asked. I just don’t want to buy it, She replied. Is it because you don’t have money or you want me to give you at a lower price? I asked. I just don’t want it. She replied. That was how we were throwing it back and forth. I was dazed. Then I said you know what, since you’ve eaten part of the food, you take it. But I was not happy because the girl looked like she was going to buy it. That was why I allowed her to have a taste. And she confirmed that the food was good. If she had told me she doesn’t have money, that would have been a different case. I wouldn’t mind paying for her. But for the fact that she just replied she didn’t want the food already closed the case. But I was forcing it on her. I eventually left the food with her and went away unsatisfied. 

Then I moved to the other floors of the hostel. I knocked at a door, an Arab guy came out. Hey man, how are you doing? I asked, greeting the guy. I’m good, he replied. Do you speak English? I asked. He said yes I do. I’m selling a very nice, tasty rice, and I’m sure you would like to have some taste, I said. Then another guy from inside the room yelled out, oh this is not the right room, go to the next room. But the food is not only for Africans, I prepared it for all nationalities and everyone that has eaten the food really love it. I’m sure you guys would like to have some taste. I replied them with smile. Humm, ok, give us 3 plates, they requested. Then, I did. Later, they requested for one more. I gave them. I was happy. Then I moved to the next room. There, were African guys. They bought 3 plates. Wow! I was full of surprises. But is it not in this same hostel that the selling was not moving some minutes ago? but just meeting the right people changed the whole thing. 

As I was about to take my leave from that place, I checked my phone, and I saw one of my guys’ message; “we’re waiting for food sir.” I was shocked. But the food is almost finished though, I soliloquized. Then I quickly called him. The food only remained 2 plates, I said. Please start coming now, and don’t sell it again! The guy yelled out in agitation. They’ve been waiting for food as well. Then I thought of how I’ve wasted one plate of food with the Mongolian girl I had met earlier when I felt the market was not going. I had lowered my standard by just forcing the food on her, even though she told me she doesn’t want. I felt so bad. And now, here are guys who want to buy the food, even for any price. I was so sad. It was as though I had lost a huge amount of money. Then I got an important lesson that I must not lower my standard or force myself on anyone who doesn’t want or like me no matter what, but know and be rest-assured that there are many more people out there who are in dare need and are looking for what I have. Peace.

No comments: